Thursday, June 30, 2005

Lifehouse, Switchfoot, and summer fests, oh my!


I decided at the last minute to spring over to the Lifehouse show in Seattle the other day. Surprisingly, they weren't sold out and I was able to grab a nice spot in the front row. Knowing where the band had been since "Hanging By A Moment" stopped climbing the charts, I was expecting to bump into some screaming teeny-boppers, religious fanatics, and fans of the TV show "Smallville". Well, apparently the teeny-bopper type is more of Lifehouse's fans than I thought. Oh well, I had a fun time even if I did have to hear a few more "OMG JASON WE LOVE YOU YOU'RE SO HOTT!"'s than I would like to. Opening act Rocco DeLuca put Lifehouse to shame, being both the more talented band and the band with the better stage presence. Seriously, this guy comes on stage with a dobro, a bassist, and two drummers and rocks out with a middle-eastern vibe. Lifehouse played most of my favorites by them and brought back some great memories of when I used to enjoy them much more than I do now. Their back-up guitarist stole the show, but they still put on a solid performance. Here's a rough set list, a song or two may be out of order:
Come Back Down
Blind
Days Go By
Take Me Away
The End Has Only Begun
Sick Cycle Carousel
Breathing
Only One
You and Me
Just Another Name
Am I Ever Gonna Find Out
Better Luck Next Time
Undone
Spin
Everything

Somewhere in Between
Hanging By A Moment
Also, I've got some news from the Switchfoot camp. They've delayed their album again (September 13th now), but a tracklist (complete with track lengths!) is now available:
1. Lonely Nation 3:45
2. Stars 4:20
3. Happy Is A Yuppie Word 4:51
4. The Shadow Proves The Sunshine 5:04
5. Easier Than Love 4:29
6. The Blues 5:17
7. The Setting Sun 4:24
8. Politicians 3:28
9. Golden 3:36
10. The Fatal Wound 2:44
11. We Are One Tonight 4:42
12. Daisy 4:18

Oh, and if you haven't heard their latest radio single, "Stars", you can stream it here.
I've been trying to keep up with live coverage of both Cornerstone and Creation East this week. I'm pissed that they cut out all of Switchfoot's show again, but what did you really expect from CMRadio? I've been recording the stream, but what I listened to yesterday from Relient K's show sounded pretty sweet. I've dug up some great news on Cornerstone on Technorati. They have WiFi at the fest this year, and you know what that means - bloggers! Here are some blogs providing good live coverage of the event: What's On My Mind, static on the radio, Confessions of a Flabby Ironman. If you really want to check out the official (read: crappy and far from live) live coverage, they're doing a podcast and posting some pictures. Rumor has it they'll have videos too, but "live videos" in JPUSA-speak is "60 second video clips in a crappy format several weeks later". Let's hope they post clips of all the "cool" bands soon.

2 comments:

Flabbyironman said...

Hey now! We work our tail off on the web coverage... and there are only a few of us that actually keep the web coverage live.

We shoot, edit and post as quickly as we can. Did the coverage get any better this year? We had a much better connection so we were able to put up more photos. My coverage slacked off on the blog as the week went on because I was too busy shooting and editing, but we work really hard to have good solid coverage at the festival.

As for video... it's all about licensing. No license, no play, and even a minute is stretching it.

Dan said...

Actually, I did like this year's coverage more than last year's. The podcasts were a good idea. I was hoping the podcasts would have some concert audio too, but some of the interviews were good enough to make up for that (I loved hearing Jerome Fontamillas talk about the good ol' days with Allen Aguirre). The pictures were good but hard to sort through, as usual.

This might be a dumb question, but why isn't asking for a license for streaming audio/video part of the booking process?