Thursday, June 02, 2005

X & Y


You know, I've never really understood what the big deal was about Coldplay. I have a copy of Parachutes on my shelf that I pull out once in a while when I want to try again at "getting it". I kind of like "Clocks", but it sounded to me like "Speed of Sound" was lame rehashing of "Clocks" - which took a little out of both songs for me. Well, now they have a new album coming out - and until just now, I didn't really care too much. I've been tipped on to a streaming copy of the new album at MTV's "The Leak". I've only listened to a few songs so far, but I'm starting to think that X & Y could be the first Coldplay album that I can actually enjoy. That'll be nice. It sounds like they're trying to stop being just "the poor man's U2/Radiohead" and started trying to grow up a bit - they do sound a little like the big boys once in a while, but for the most part it seems like they're really coming into their own here. They also get points from me for taking a few hints from Cool Hand Luke and adding some more ambient sounds and tasty beats to their material. Oh, and the album comes out next week, on June 6th. I have a feeling this'll be the "cool" CD to have for a bit....anyone know of any good sales coming up for this one?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's less than $10 at Target, but that will probably go back to regular price on Tuesday, so get it today.

"Speed of Sound" is a terrible rip-off of "Clocks" and X&Y would have been better off without it. The songs aren't as consistently solid as their last album, but they did come into their own this time with what I think will be the definitive "Coldplay sound". X&Y is a good album, but A Rush of Blood to the Head is still their best.

Mike Rinaldi (from The Vine)