Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Week of Washington State


I’ve decided to make this week a week of local music. Local to me, here in Washington state, that is. Please forget about the fact that I missed Monday, and count last week’s plug for Pedro the Lion as Monday. By the way, that concert review is up now. I’ll post Tuesday and Wednesday now. Just to be clear – I’m only covering my favorites here. Heck, I haven’t even heard a full Modest Mouse album yet, and they got started just a town away from me. This is by no means an authoritative list.
Washington Week, Tuesday – Threefold. Threefold is a duo from Everett, Washington that claimed the #6 spot on my 2004 favorites list. It’s kind of hard to pin down their sound, but it’s easy to tell that they’ve been influenced by Jars of Clay and Maroon5. Did I mention that Kenny Meeks appears on their latest album, as well as members of Sixpence None the Richer and Jars of Clay? Anyway, they don’t have anything from their latest album available to download yet, but they do have a few older songs on their website that you can check out here. If you’re interested in hearing more about them, we’ve reviewed both their latest album and a Christmas concert from last year.
Another great band I’ve discovered from Washington is a group from Spokane called Sittser. They’re a modern rock group that sounds just as good as anyone you’ve heard on the radio. Sadly, sometimes they sound a bit too poppy and radio-friendly, but for the most part, they sound pretty solid. You can hear several songs (old and new!) from them on their website. Click on the album covers, then on the yellow or red boxes to download the songs. Oh, and while you’re checking these guys out, you might want to read the concert review we posted of their show at Creation West.

No comments: